Dog playing with rubber ball toy nearly loses her tongue after it got stuck

Dogs love to play with toys. It is often how they stay occupied while their owners are away. In one case though, playing with a favorite toy ended up in a poor dog having to take an emergency trip to the vet,

Keep in mind that this post contains graphic pictures that some might find upsetting. So, use your discretion when reading.

A day at home alone

Pixabay – Angela_Yurike_Smith Source: Pixabay – Angela_Yurike_Smith

When Helen and James Hartley left their Labrador retriever, Poppy, alone, they had no idea that they would return home to a potentially life-threatening situation. They figured Poppy would keep herself occupied with her toys like she always did. One of her favorites was the ball she liked to play with.

Poppy found herself in a predicament

Facebook – Foxhall Veterinary Clinic Source: Facebook – Foxhall Veterinary Clinic

After arriving home from work, they noticed that Poppy had somehow managed to get her tongue stuck in the hole in the rubber ball. Meant to help prevent choking, the hole was never meant to have a tongue stuck into it. Unsure how long her tongue had been stuck in the ball, the couple worked to free it.

Poppy’s parents rushed her to the Vet

Facebook – Foxhall Veterinary Clinic Source: Facebook – Foxhall Veterinary Clinic

After a little bit of a struggle, Helen and James were able to remove the toy. Later on, Poppy started to act strange. So, out of an abundance of caution, they rushed Poppy to the Foxhall Veterinary Clinic in Ruskington, Lincolnshire. The clinic staff examined her and sent her home with medicine and a treat.

Poppy’s condition worsens

Facebook – Foxhall Veterinary Clinic Source: Facebook – Foxhall Veterinary Clinic

Set to return the next day, Poppy’s condition started to deteriorate. Instead of improving, her tongue began to smell foul. It was then that the couple noticed the parts of Poppy’s tongue that had been stuck in the ball were beginning to look necrotic.

Facebook – Foxhall Veterinary Clinic Source: Facebook – Foxhall Veterinary Clinic

The couple rushed Poppy back to the clinic for emergency care. The clinic posted about Poppy’s predicament on Facebook:

“Unfortunately, the red line gradually changed into bruising, the bruises then started to smell and formed white plaques on top, which eventually turned black, necrotic, and died off. Poor Poppy was left with two great big slits on either side of her tongue where the ball had been and was struggling to eat and drink because of this, so she was booked in for surgery with Sophie our Vet!”

The vet performed emergency surgery

Facebook – Foxhall Veterinary Clinic Source: Facebook – Foxhall Veterinary Clinic

The vet was able to remove the necrotic tissue and stitched up Poppy’s tongue. And while she would have to recover, at least she would be able to eat and drink like normal. Something she wasn’t able to do before. Helen and James were grateful to the staff at the clinic who worked quickly to treat Poppy’s condition.

“It was really traumatic for us all. Thank you from the bottom of our hearts for looking after Poppy. She’s been so well-loved by everybody at the surgery and we couldn’t have asked for a more dedicated team. Well done to you all, Poppy sends sloppy kisses,” Helen said.

Foxhall Veterinary Clinic

Facebook – Foxhall Veterinary Clinic Source: Facebook – Foxhall Veterinary Clinic

Open six days a week, the Foxhall Veterinary Clinic has provided veterinary care to the Lincolnshire area since 2007. For more on the clinic and the services that they provide, visit the company’s Website or Facebook page

Facebook – Foxhall Veterinary Clinic Source: Facebook – Foxhall Veterinary Clinic

“We’ve all grown very attached to Poppy here at Foxhall and we will miss her daily visits,” the clinic said in its Facebook post. “Poppy’s owners wanted us to share her story to highlight the dangers of leaving your dog unattended with toys, no matter how innocent they seem.”

For more on Poppy’s harrowing tale, watch the video below.

Please SHARE this with your friends and family.

Sources: YouTube – Paws Nation, The Animal Rescue Site, Facebook – Foxhall Veterinary Clinic

Advertisement
Advertisement